Thursday, June 12, 2008

Answering question regarding 14 yo runner having scoliosis surgery

I received this comment/question this evening on my Blog:

“I just received information regarding my 14-yo child's scoliosis.  She is possibly facing surgery for a 53-degree curve. She is an avid runner, logging almost 30 miles per week.  She is highly concerned that if she goes through with the surgical intervention that her running will be over.”  Is this true? I anxiously await your response.Jeanene

Dr. Hey’s answer:  Jeanene, it should be quite possible for your girl to return to a very active lifestyle, including running, although there may be some “down time” during the healing process while the fusion heals, depending on the length of the fusion, and the type of surgical technique used.  I would be happy to take a look at her X-Rays for you, and do a phone consultation if that would help.  Web requests can be sent through my website at http://www.heyclinic.com.

Take care,

Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
Raleigh, NC  USA

1 comment:

Me said...

You are amazing. Your quick response brought tears to my eyes. We are still trying to assimilate all the information and we are very emotional about our daughter's diagnosis. I would love to talk to you about this. She is our beautiful, talented child and we want to do the absolute best things for her. I consider it a blessing already that I found your information. I will be in touch.
Thank you so much,
Jeanene