Tuesday, July 22, 2008

62 yo nurse from South Carolina w/ New Quality of Life 9 months after Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy (PSO) for Flat Back Syndrome

From: <“Betty”>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:39:19 -0400
To: "Dr. Lloyd Hey" <>
Subject: Re: Photos from Hey Clinic

I am a 62 year old nurse from South Carolina and I know that I am blessed to have found Dr. Hey. Before my spinal surgery with Dr. Hey I could not stand more than 1-2 minutes without support, and walking >25-30 feet left me totally exhausted. I had flatback syndrome with severe kypohosis and my legs were bent when I stood or walked. My back looked like a curved "C". I had been advised by two other surgeons to just accept this condition and apply for disability, that the surgery to correct it was too complicated and that almost no one had any experience with performing it. Then I found Dr. Hey and Duke Health Raleigh Hospital. They are both wonderful and made my surgery and hospital stay as comfortable as it could possibly be. I am now 9 months out from my surgery and am walking 2-3 miles every day and have returned to all my former activities, with some restrictions with weight lifting because my spine is still in the process of fusing. I have a lot of energy now that I don't have to expend it all trying to stand upright and I can once again walk my grandchildren on the beach and play with them in the pool. Dr. Hey is not only truly talented but he has tremendous enthusiasm and love for his work. Thank you again Dr. Hey. You cannot possibly know how much you have changed the quality of my life.

Betty


------------
Lloyd A. Hey, MD MS
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
Raleigh, NC USA
http://www.heyclinic.com

No comments: