Friday, March 18, 2011

6 yo explains scoliosis at Hey Clinic!

I've seen a bunch of smaller kids in clinic this week as patients with Early Onset Scoliosis, but also as members of families coming in for a visit. Halle is 6 years old, and came in with her dad and grandma today to see me. Her grandma actually has scoliosis, and has progressive back pain and trouble walking.

When I put up Halle's grandma's X-Ray up on the big screen to show the family, Halle jumped up before I could say anything, and raised her hand and said, "I see the problem! Grandma's back is crooked, and is swayed over to the side, like this, (she shifts her hips to show me), and now that is causing her back to hurt!" I was blown away, and just had to laugh out loud! Wow! Her dad and grandma got a big charge out of it. Not only was Halle bold, but she actually diagnosed her grandma's scoliosis, and the likely cause for her pain. I asked Halle if she could explain it again, but this time I shot a short video which is attached. The sound quality isn't great on my little camera, but you get the point.

Kids say the darndest things, and times like this are precious for all of us. At this point Halle is planning to be a veternarian, but I think she has a real gift for spine surgery. Perhaps she will be the next Doogie Howser, M.D. !!

Halle and her dad and Grandma gave permission for us to share this with all of you today. Enjoy. I made a point to get this uploaded before I went home today, since I know Halle was looking forward to see it this evening. Thanks for sharing, Halle!!!

Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
http://www.heyclinic.com


No comments: