Sunday, June 5, 2011

Still thankful 33 years later for the surgeons, nurses, therapists and family who cared for me

Thirty-three years ago today, I was hit by a car, and had a very severe crush injury to my left leg.
Still to this day I remember that day when my life was turned completely upside down, then spent 3.5 months in hospital, 11 surgeries, 2 bouts of sepsis, and the constant threat of amputation.
It was painful, scary, lonely.  Would I ever get out of the hospital?  Would I ever walk again?  Would I ever go back to school?

I am so, so thankful for all of the caring people who took care of me, including Dr. Mark Pitman, the captain of the ship, and his brother Charles, Barbara Bader – a physical therapist.  Not sure what her name is now, but would love to thank her if anyone can find her.

I am confident that the passion I have for helping people these past many years as an orthopaedic spine surgeon began (and continues every day) out of thanksgiving for the care and healing I received, and will never ever forget.

Thankfulness is a great motivator to return the favor.


Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
http://www.heyclinic.com

No comments: