Monday, November 12, 2012

Getting ready for the big game: Complex Revision Deformity Surgery Planning.


Today I completed two complex deformity surgeries, did two surgery consults, picked up vegetarian Thai food on the way home for my daughter and I, and then sat down to get ready for the "Big Game" for tomorrow: a revision double curve scoliosis surgery for an adolescent who had surgery 8 months ago elsewhere, with painful, inadequate correction.

I just spent the last hour studying his spine from top of thoracic to bottom of lumbar planning out each level of the surgery, with angular measurements, and which screws need to be added, and which screws need to be replaced and / or redirected.

Now I can get to bed early, and sleep on this surgical plan, then get up and make it happen tomorrow!

I'll have 3D imaging technology in the operating room tomorrow with my ace surgery team, including Nurse Kelly Hohman coming in on her day off to help out.

The 11 yo girl who had scoliosis surgery this past Wednesday went home from the hospital this past weekend doing great.  Mom and dad very happy with her rapid recovery, posture, and the care they received at WakeMed Children's Hospital, Raleigh Campus.  Many thanks for everyone who helped little Cayleigh and her family.

Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
http://www.heyclinic.com


No comments: