Thursday, March 13, 2014

Living with Kyphosis for 25 years -- and now a few weeks postop. John shares how kyphosis surgery helped his quality of life and pain.



March 10, 2014
Dr. Hey,

Thanks for forwarding the picture.  I'm still getting used to my new height!  I want to thank you and your entire staff for how professionally and compassionately both Sheri and I have been treated throughout this journey.  I know I have several more months before full recovery, but I am very thankful to God for my progress to date.  I am also thankful for the support of my wife - who pointed me in your direction some six-years ago when you gave a public seminar at Duke Raleigh.  I believe God's hand was involved in connecting us. The fact that you are a fellow Electrical Engineer cemented for me that you were the "right man for the job".  I appreciate your conservative approach to care - not rushing to a surgical solution.  I was able to delay surgery for a long time with physical therapy, careful monitoring, and taking care of my core and spine.  I am thankful for the surgical advances made by you and your peers over the past 25-years that I have been living with Kyphosis.  I look forward to my 6-month visit and sharing my continued progress with you and your team.

Regards,
John

------------------
John gave his permission to share this with our blog readers after his recent postop visit at Hey Clinic. He had a very painful 88 degree progressive kyphosis, and actually had chronic bruising over his spinous processes over his mid-thoracic area preop.  His curve was quite stiff during surgery, requiring multiple osteotomies, and some extra finesse to get him straightened up nicely so his kyphosis is now in the normal range, as shown in the photograph.

Thanks for sharing, John, and wishing you a wonderful spring to enjoy your new posture and new quality of life!

Dr. Lloyd Hey -- Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery  -- http://www.heyclinic.com

No comments: