Monday, April 21, 2008

FlipFlops concern about preganancy and exercise after Harrington Rod Scoli Fusion

I received this Blog Comment today:

 

flipflops has left a new comment on your post "23 yo Iris with Scoliosis follow-up question":

Hello. I'm so grateful I stumbled upon your blog. I had a harrington rod/spinal fusion (bone grafted from both hips) to correct a 42 degree S shaped curve when I was 13 in 1983. I'm now 37. I'm worried since I haven't seen an orthopedist since I was a teen since I now have lower back pain. I worry that I was too ambitious in physical activity, running, swimming, dance, pilates and may suffer ill affects. Also terrified about family planning/pregnancy since recently married, if that is an option/if pregnancy weight will strain spine etc.. I had physical therapy re: strengthening back muscles two years ago. My primary care doc took xray and said that the x-ray tech said fusion looked ok. I do pilates, spin class and light jogging now. I don't want to lose my quality of life. Sorry this is so long.

-------------------------------------------

Dear flipflops,

I would not worry about your past activity – life is to be enjoyed, and there is no data I know of in the literature that suggests that decreased activity improves disc/spine condition later in life for scoliosis patients with our without fusion.  There is a lot of information that talks about the physical and psychological and emotional benefits of exercise.  So, be thankful for your active life, and have no regrets about the past.

In terms of pregnancy, and family planning issues, I don’t think you need to be terrified.

I would get your scoliosis checked, and get some conservative therapy for your back pain for starters.

 

You should get your scoliosis checked every couple of years to look for any signs of progression below your old fusion.  If you decide you want to have children, it should be quite possible, and it should even be possible to have an epidural anesthetic at levels below your old fusion.  You may have some back pain during pregnancy, but the end result is worth it!  If your back pain or leg pain was absolutely horrible despite conservative therapy, or if there was documented progression of your lower curve, you may wish to get the lower curve fixed before you have your first child.  But it is a fixable problem, fortunately.

 

I am trying to bring the issues of scoliosis and kyphosis to mind for OB/GYN (obstetrician and gynecologist) physicians, since these doctors frequently are the “primary care” doctors for young healthy women, and need to understand the importance off scoliosis follow-up through adulthood, as well as how the issues of scoliosis, previous scoliosis surgery and pregnancy planning all fit together.

If your OB/GYN would like some more info, she/he is welcome to email me or call me.

 

Take care, and thanks for your comments and questions.

 

Dr. Lloyd Hey

http://www.heyclinic.com

Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery

1 comment:

Joanne Duffing said...

Dr. Hey,

Thank you for your blog, it is wonderful to be able to find practical information regarding scoliosis on the internet.

I had corrective surgery with Harrington Rods in 1983 at age 15, at 21 the rod came loose and I had it removed.

I have had chronic back pain for over a decade, can you suggest any Doctors in the Chicago, IL region?

Thank you.

Joanne Duffing