Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Janelle's Surgery at Arkansas Children's Hospital

Yesterday I spent the day with Dr. Richard McCarthy and his team at Arkansas Children’s Hospital. Dr. McCarthy just finished serving as the President of the Scoliosis Research Society, and is teaching me how to use the new Shilla Technique for treating Early Onset Scoliosis (EOS).  The Shilla Technique is similar to the growing rod technique, but allows the rods to slide through pedicle screws, decreasing the need for multiple surgeries.

One of my patients, Janelle, who is 5 and a half years old, has had a rapidly progressive scoliosis, despite bracing.  Janelle and her parents flew out to Little Rock Arkansas for this surgery, and I got a chance to meet with them before surgery yesterday in preop.  Dr. McCarthy, and his junior resident Eric and I worked together to do a 3 level anterior release and fusion yesterday afternoon.  His administrative assistant Cindy was incredibly kind to me, getting me set up with my badge, getting me oriented to the med center, buying me lunch, and then rushing me to catch the last flight out of Little Rock yesterday evening!

Little Rock is a beautiful city.  The folks at the Peabody Hotel treated me very well, and gave me a ride from the airport, and then to the hospital yesterday morning.  There was a beautiful view of the Capitol building from the front of the Arkansas Children’s Hospital.

I am back in Raleigh to do surgery today, and clinic tomorrow.
Tomorrow night I fly back to Little Rock to do the second half of Janelle’s surgery, doing th posterior Shilla Technique.
Many thanks to Dr. McCarthy and his team for helping Janelle and his family, and for allowing me to learn this new technique!

More to follow.

Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery.

No comments: