Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Can my Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Curve and Posture actually Improve With Schroth PSSE and modern Rigo-Cheneau Brace? EF Teen Story

I received the following letter from EF, one of our adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) patients we are treating here at our new expanded Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Care here in Raleigh, NC.  The patient and her mom gave permission to share her story with all of you.  We are seeing many success stories like this now as we ramp up Schroth Scoliosis Physiotherapeutic Specific Exercise (PSSE) here with two therapists here at Hey Clinic, and also working with our expanding network of PSSE therapists across North Carolina and beyond.  We actually just had an Intro class here for Schroth a couple of weeks ago, with therapists from across NC and beyond joining in to learn the basics, and will be holding a full Schroth Certification at our Hey Clinic Learning Center here in December. 


Our In-house scoliosis bracing facility is also now fully up to speed, allowing us to take 3D images of the patient, also with our EOS X-Ray machine contributing high resolution, low radiation imaging data including 3D data.  We can then take that data into special software to design and fabricate a very comfortable, and effective brace for 3D correction based on the principles of Rigo and Cheneau derotation --- a huge step forward from the Boston Brace and Charleston Brace.   

Thanks EF for sharing your story of not only improving your Cobb angle, but your pain level, quality of life and appearance, with great improvement in your trunk shift!!  

Here is EF's story:   

"Two years ago while shopping for bathing suits with my mom, I noticed that my right hip was higher than my left. The next day my mom took me to my regular doctor. He took several x-rays and then referred me to Dr. Hey.
When I went and saw Dr. Hey, I got more detailed back and spine x-rays and he explained to me that I had scoliosis. My curve was 20 degrees in my lower back. When I first found out that I had scoliosis, I was really anxious because I didn't know if it was going to get worse, or if my hips would ever look normal again. I was also worried if it would effect me playing sports because I played soccer, did cheer, and swam. The only discomfort I had was pain in lower back, but it was manageable with some advil.
My next two six months appointments, my x-rays were still the same. I was worried that my curve would never go decrease and that my hip discrepancy would only get bigger. I expressed my discomfort and concern to Dr. Hey and he recommended bracing. My first thoughts were “there’s no way I’m wearing a huge brace to school every day.” I thought it would be  really uncomfortable, and I would look weird in it.
After talking to my parents, I decided to move forward with the bracing process. When I first started wearing it, it was a difficult adjustment. I felt the brace pushing my left hip and shoulder up. I would wear my brace when I got home from school and I would wear it to sleep at night. After a few weeks of getting used to it, my brace actually felt good putting it on; I felt like my hips were straight.
I continued wearing my brace every night for the next 7 months! At my last appointment, when I took my x-ray, Dr. Hey told me my curve had gone down by 5 degrees! I was so excited that my back was finally getting straight and that my hip discrepancy was actually not as noticeable. My hips look much more even and normal now.
Even though at first, I was scared, nervous, and unsure with my bracing journey, I  could not be more happy with the results I have gotten so far. This summer, when I was at the beach, I actually felt comfortable in my bikini! I will definitely continue to wear it every day to help my back improve more. "

No comments: