Thursday, November 14, 2019

Precious Layla's twelve year scoliosis and life journey from AIS surgery... to Physician Assistant Student ... and beautiful bride!

Last Friday, I had an incredible reunion with one of my former scoliosis patients - Layla - who is now a physician assistant student at Campbell!  I went there last Friday to do a lecture on the importance of compassion as the driving force for resilience through medical training and years of care for others, and also how compassion is the driving force for quality and safety and lean improvement.  Several of my medical student mentorees from this past summer's Better Samaritan Institute summer program were there as well as I shared personal stories from my own journey from being a patient, to becoming a surgeon and an influencer for driving change to improve safety, and effectiveness of care.  I also got a chance to help them launch our first CareGuard.org "Outpost" at Campbell, which med student Gabriel is leading.

Below is a quick summary of Layla's history that she emailed me after we met up again.... what a great joy to hear about her recent wedding, and how our paths got to cross again.  So proud of you Layla!!  Hope to see you again for a lecture gathering again soon.... Dr. Lloyd Hey - Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Care









LAYLA'S JOURNEY:  
You performed by scoliosis fusion on Monday, December 17, 2007.  I remember being so brave for my parents and siblings, but I began to cry when they wheeled me back to the OR. You and Jacklyn, one of your PAs at the time, bent down next to me and prayed with me before the procedure.  It is something I will never forget.





It was my sophomore year (2013) at NCSU when I started shadowing in your clinic and in the OR, and serving as a surgery mentor for adolescent patients needing instrumentation.

My junior year (2014) was when I completed my undergraduate research project with you. It was studying 1000 cases of idiopathic scoliosis in 4 distinct age groups, comparing the patients that needed instrumentation, and comparing their pre-op X-rays and their 6-week post-op X-rays.  We determined what age group exhibited the best curvature corrections and concluded that it is best to receive surgery at a younger age for better/optimal surgical results.
In 2017, I reached out and you submitted a letter of recommendation for my first year applying to PA programs.
In 2018 I was accepted to Campbell and committed to start with the 2019 school year.
Our paths crossed again this past Friday, and I have to say it was a breath of fresh air. 

Your outlook on medicine and patient care inspired all of my classmates.  We will be spreading the news about CareGuard and the shadowing/internship opportunities you offer.  

Thank you for helping in shaping me into the woman, person, and provider I am today.  Thank you for the reminder to continue to love all of God's children unconditionally and show them compassion.

With love and admiration,

-Layla

No comments: