Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Will I lose spine flexibility if I have a spine fusion for scoliosis? I want to be able to dance or play sports! Will I be unable to dance or cheerlead or dive / swim?

Using Schroth physical therapy and home exercises and 3D-CADCAM Rigo-Cheneau bracing, we are able to treat the very large majority of our scoliosis patients at Hey Clinic with conservative therapy, and life-long follow-up.

However, there still is a small percentage of patients whose curves progress and/or the patients have pain and/or posture issues where they want to hear more about surgical options for treating their scoliosis.

One of the most common questions I've received over the years caring for children, adolescents and adults with scoliosis is this:  "Will I be able to bend after scoliosis surgery?"  or "Will I be able to dance if I chose to have a spinal fusion?"  Am I better off having my daughter or son have a tether rather than a spinal instrumentation and fusion to preserve spine mobility?"  

Here is MaKenzie's answer, an AIS adolescent scoliosis patient now 9 months postop.  MaKenzie and her mom voluntarily have shared this on YouTube, and Facebook and now here for you to see.  Thanks for sharing your passion with all of us MaKenzie!  Just beautiful!!





http://www.heyclinic.com






No comments: