Friday, August 8, 2008

FW: Many Thanks for Kyphosis Assessment at Hey Clinic

From: Crystal _________

Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 10:14 AM
To: Dr. Lloyd Hey
Subject: Many Thanks

 

Dear Dr. Hey,

 

Our family wanted to send a note of gratitude to you and your staff.  To refresh your memory, you saw our daughter, Ashley, in clinic on Wednesday, August 6, 2008.  Ashley  had been diagnosed with Scheuermann's kyphosis on July 3.  After receiving a month of physical therapy, it was being recommended that possibly brace fitting would be a good next alternative for treatment.  Outside of the research which we had performed on our own, we still had very little information from her physician; and, in fact, we had not even been told the degree of her kyphosis.  After 5 weeks of uncertainty, worrying, praying, turning it over to God, taking it back (the mother in me), I decided that the overwhelming tug on my heart telling me I needed to pursue this in a different direction, was my answer from God.  He was just waiting for us to take the next step.  Thus, we embarked on our journey to find a physician who dealt only with the spine, preferably spinal deformities.  Working with medical professionals on a daily basis, I began asking respected physicians for leads.  To make a long story short, with my probbing and the help of the wonderful world-wide web, I found the Hey Clinic.  Talk about an answer to prayer!!!


On August 6, 2008, we were scheduled to see your P.A., Brittany.  After Brittany comes in and introduces herself and gets settled in, one of the first things I'm impressed with when she hangs the x-ray (which we brought from our previous physician) on the little "light box", SHE (Brittany), not our previous physician,  had marked the degree of Ashley's kyphosis, as well as the lordosis, on the film.  This was the first time we had been given these numbers.  I had wanted those numbers for what seemed like an eternity.  It turns out, Ashley has a 71 degree kyphosis and an 88 degree lumbar lordosis.  Anyways, I had a list of about 20 questions regarding Scheuermann's which I had intended to ask Brittany that day.  Let's just say, I never HAD to ask the majority of them.  Once Brittany began explaining Ashley's kyphosis, over 3/4 of my questions were answered simply in that context; she was that thorough.  AMAZING!!  The even greater part, though, was that you were able to be in the office for a short time that morning, and we were able to meet you, especially great for Ashley.  You went over all the same things Brittany had previously with even more thoroughness, especially regarding what the surgery would involve.  We are so grateful to you and your staff for your truly caring nature.  You were very professional and knowledgeable while at the same time speaking in terms that non-medical individuals can understand.  I especially liked the fact that you talked with Ashley with eye-to-eye contact, not just her dad and me.  This really helped Ashley in digesting all the information.  After all, she may only be 13, but it is her spine.  Although sometime later on, Ashley may possibly be faced with surgery for this kyphosis, we know she will be in well-skilled hands.

 

Dr. Hey, if we have any advice to offer other parents or adults with this disorder, scoliosis, or even other spinal problems, don't just sit around in uncertainty as we did for too long, and especially not if they are suffering.  If folks feel uncomfortable with information or treatment they are being given, or lack thereof, I would recommend they call your office and see if their problem fits within the scope of your practice and schedule an appointment with your clinic.  We are so grateful to you and are so relieved just to have it thoroughly explained, our questions answered, and know what our options are for the future.  You truly have been given a wonderful gift, and I am thankful that you have been obedient to God's calling for your life!  When you told us to stop worrying and turn it over to you guys, I knew this was God speaking to me, through you, and saying to me, "Will you give it to me now, Mom?"

 

We are truly thankful our paths crossed!!

 

Until December....

 

The T_______’s

Johnny, Crystal & Ashley Brooke

Archdale, NC

 

 

No comments: