Wednesday, December 4, 2013

How badly will I suffer if I consider having scoliosis surgery as an adult? Will I regret the decision, or will it help improve quality of life?

Whew, it has been super-busy around Hey Clinic the past several weeks, and I regret not having time to sit down to do some writing and sharing with all of you!  Thanksgiving was busy but wonderful, seeing some family, but also rounding each day at the hospital.  I received an email this evening from Lynwood, a 42 you gentleman with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and L5S1 anterolisthesis who developed progressive debilitating back and leg pain, and a horrible quality of life.  He is now about 3 weeks postop and shares his thoughts below.  Dr. Lloyd Hey - Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery.  http://www.heyclinic.com

Lynwood R <>
4:17 PM (3 hours ago)
to hey
Dr. Hey –

On November 11, 2013 you performed what I can only describe as a life changing surgery on my spine. My issues include scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis and a pars fracture at L5-S1. During the pre-surgery consultation you described all the possible side effects of the surgery and shared that for the immediate 2 weeks following the surgery I would, in your words, “Hate you for 2 weeks.” Now that I am just past 3 weeks post-surgery I want to share that I have truly been amazed by your work and my recovery and have not once had feelings of hate for you. Quite the opposite, I have done nothing but sing your praises for the work you performed on my back.

I am grateful to say that gone is the pain and discomfort from my issues pre-surgery and, miraculously, I have not really experienced anything I would even qualify as pain following the surgery. I am able to move very well with the assistance of a walker and truthfully have had only what I would qualify as discomfort on occasion. My incision is healing beautifully. I feel my strength coming back each day. I continue to follow the orders of no bending, lifting or twisting.

All of the above can be attributed to your skill and talent as a surgeon and the healing power of God. You were so wonderful in offering prayer with my wife and I prior to  my surgery and I can honestly tell you that your prayer for his healing has continued each day during my recovery.  Thank you for truly giving me an improved quality of life. I look forward to once again being able to be an active dad with my 9 and 4 year old sons. You have given me that gift this Christmas Season and I will forever be grateful.


Sincerely,

Lynwood R

No comments: