Thursday, January 29, 2009

12 yo scoliosis young lady gets straightened up today with a very big and loving crowd!

Well it has been a little while since I have had a chance to update the Blog, but TODAY I’ve got a minute to share a couple powerful moments.
This morning I met McKenzie and her family and friends and pastors before her adolescent idiopathic scoliosis surgery.
I am not exaggerating --- there were I think 11 people there to love and encourage McKenzie and her family.
The private room in the Preop Area was simply packed, but we got a nice team picture together after McKenzie’s pastor led us in a big circle in a powerful prayer.
McKenzie’s surgery went really well, and took 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Estimated Blood loss was around 700 cc, and cell saver blood was returned to her x 250 cc.
No blood transfusions were necessary, and we got a really nice correction.

When I came back out to talk to the family, McKenzie’s fan club had grown from 11 to 13!
When I climbed into the conference room with Sarah, my NC State Intern, that made 15!
When I shared the preop and postop X-Rays with McKenzie’s mom and the whole fan group, the crowd went wild, which we were able to catch on video, with permission to share this later.  What a joy to see their relief and surprise.

One of McKenzie’s other pastors then led us in another big circle of prayer of thanksgiving around the room.

Later in the day, I saw McKenzie with her mom and others in her private room.  She looks great, and very straight, and ready to get up and get moving.

What a great and memorable day.

Lloyd A. Hey, MD MS
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
Raleigh, NC  USA
http://www.heyclinic.com
Member, Scoliosis Research Society, http://www.srs.org

No comments: