Thursday, September 2, 2010

Encouraging thank you note from 13 yo Claire from Voula Greece who had adolescent idiopathic scoliosis surgery (AIS) with us recently.

"Dear Hey Clinic,

When I found out I had scoliosis I felt like a weirdo, like I was strange. I hated the ugly hump on my back, I hated how I was different. I developed a very bad attitude and was very hard to be around. We decided that the surgery would be the best for me. I acted like the surgery would be nothing, but in reality, I was terrified. I walked through the hospital doors and it felt like my heart weighed 200 pounds. I sat in my little hospital bed and began to think about God. I didn't believe in God for a long time but suddenly I found myself praying. My prayers were answered. All my nurses were amazing. All the doctors explained everything to me in words I could understand, not in fancy words to my dad. When Dr. Hey came in the room and asked if he could pray with us, I knew that it would be ok. the time in the hospital passed slow but I made it through it. When I looked in the mirror and saw a straight back with no curves or humps it brought tears to my eyes. I have all of you to thank for it.

Thank you so much for giving me my life and my faith. thank you for taking the stress off my shoulders.

You will forever be a part of my life and I thank you dearly.

Love, Claire"


Claire sent this very touching hand-written note recently. She had her scoliosis surgery at Duke Raleigh Hospital at age 12 with our Hey Clinic team. We love caring for guests of all ages at Hey Clinic, but our adolescent and pediatric scoliosis and kyphosis guests are SO SPECIAL and PRECIOUS!! Thanks Claire for sharing your heart, and allowing us to share it with others!

Here is post from your surgery day:

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2010/06/12-yo-young-lady-from-voula-greece-w.html

Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery

No comments: