Sunday, September 25, 2011

Yes You Can Play Tennis After Scoliosis Surgery!

Boy, I am so sorry I've been so bad about keeping up with the Blog! Shame on me! So much has been happening this last couple of weeks, including going to the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) meeting in Louisville, Kentucky, and lots of interesting patient stories that I've wanted to share. I've also received a bunch of emails from former and current Hey Clinic guests who actually wanted me to be sure to share their stories with all of you!

One of those stories came from Pat, who had scoliosis surgery with me a few years ago. She's from southern Florida, and had adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS), with degenerative scoliosis progressing during her thirties and forties which really brought her quality of life into the poor and getting worse range. She emailed me a few months ago that she got together with her "scoli buddy" who helped her through the whole process --- very fun reunion.

Earlier this month she sent this email below with some short video clips showing her starting to play tennis! I've played a little tennis myself after I was hit by a car as a teenager. Great sport, but I can't really back peddle very well since I lost most of the muscles on the front of my left leg. Pat already looks a lot better than me!

As an interesting coincidence, I was talking to one of my scoliosis surgery patients who is in her 70's the same day I got Pat's email who was telling me how much she enjoys playing tennis again!

I appreciate stories like this that are sent in to us as people share how they are getting their quality of life back after scoliosis surgery. Very encouraging. Thanks for sharing Pat!

Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
http://www.heyclinic.com


Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 18:55:26 -0400
To: Lloyd Hey <>
Subject: tennis lesson

Hi Dr. Hey!

Just thought I’d let you know I had my 3rd tennis lesson today!!!!!! Very happy about it!!! I can still hit the ball……………I have to adjust my game but that’s fine with me……………glad to be on the court again. Thank you Thank you!

Pat

No comments: