Sunday, October 2, 2011

Adolescent Kyphosis / Scoliosis Postop Hug from Taylor. The scoliosis JOURNEY.

Friday was busy in clinic as usual, with lots of smiles and happy reunions with our guests, including many of our adolescent and young adults back for follow-up after scoliosis and/or kyphosis surgery.

Taylor, one of our teenage postop scoliosis guests told her mom that she wanted to give me a “BIG HUG” when she saw me in clinic today.

Well, as you can see, she got her wish.  The journey through scoliosis / kyphosis diagnosis and treatment is definitely a real journey for the adolescent and their family.  It’s not just important to “take care of the curve”, or the anatomic problem to prevent issues later in life.  It’s important to try to make the whole journey a positive experience for the young person becoming an adult, so they emerge stronger, more confident and perhaps inspired to pursue compassionate career / life options as they grow up and have a chance to give back to others.  I know my own experience as a patient and teenager definitely had that effect on my life.

What a great encouragement to keep me going through the rest of clinic!  

Thanks for the hug, Taylor and letting us share this on the Blog.

Dr. Lloyd Hey
Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery
http://www.heyclinic.com

2 comments:

mary campbell said...

Dr. Hey, you look great! I just found this blog, and am pleased to see you looking so good, and predictibly excited about your patients.
I am about 5 years out, and doing well. Ken had heart surgery this year, which prompted me to follow a dream, and I am about 3/4 way through a surgical technology program. Very exciting stuff.
I am forever grateful for your skill and friendship. I think of you often.
Fondly, Mary Campbell, Southport NC

mary campbell said...

Dr. Hey, You look great. I just found your blog, and it is good to see you looking so well, and predictibly excited over your patients.
I am about 5 years out, and still doing fine. Ken had major heart surgery this year, which inspired me to go after a long time dream. I am about 1/2 the way through a surgical technology program. Very exciting stuff.
I think of you often. I am just going to have to come to Raleigh and say hi.
Fondly, Mary Campbell, Southport NC