Wednesday, February 12, 2014




Tami 

Feb 11 (1 day ago)
to me
Dear Dr. Hey:

I hope this note finds you well. I just wanted to share a huge triumph in my life this past weekend. I have always loved hiking, the outdoors, and the mountains. The beautiful views from a mountaintop brought solace to my life. For many years, I thought I would never hike again due to terrible pain in my back. Thanks to your God given talent, you gave me my life back and I will be forever grateful. This photo is of me jumping for joy on the top of Rough Ridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway after an awesome hike with my husband Mike. May God continue to bless you with the gift of healing as you change lives daily!

Thank you !

--------------------------
Tami had a Harrington Rod fusion as a teenager, with some resultant flat back-like syndrome, and a fusion down to L4.  During her adult years, she began to have increasing back and then radiating leg pain, and trouble standing and walking.  Her MRI showed severe degeneration with severe facet hypertrophy, and spinal stenosis, and disc herniations.  She tried all sorts of conservative therapy including physical therapy, back braces, weight management, NSAID's, exercise program, and injections including epidural injections.  Her quality of life continued to deteriorate as she headed through her 40's.   2 years ago today, 2/12/2012, I performed a posterior L4, L5 laminectomy, partial removal of her Harrington rod and hook, and an extension instrumentation and fusion connecting her old fusion and Harrington rod down to the pelvis.  We were able to do her fusion in her case without having to go anteriorly, since her preop sagittal balance was acceptable -- although very painful for her to try to stand up straight for very long.  

She dropped me this email yesterday, and gave her OK to share it with all of you as she continues to enjoy a much better quality of life, accomplishing her athletic and personal goals.

Great to hear from you Tami!!

Dr. Lloyd Hey -- Hey Clinic for Scoliosis and Spine Surgery   http://www.heyclinic.com


No comments: